Job Title: Cook
Department: Food & Beverage
Reports to: Food & Beverage Manager, Restaurant
Position Summary: The purpose of this position is to cook and prepare food according to prescribed recipes and quality standards.
- Plans and prepares various food items and meals for hotel restaurant and catered functions.
- Understands food cost and portion control without sacrificing quality.
- Assists with quality and presentation issues, cleanliness and organization of kitchen and restaurant when necessary.
- Accommodates Guests' special requests.
- Adheres to proper food handling and safety guidelines at all times.
Inventory and Control
- Assists with inventory, ordering, and receiving of all Food and Beverage items as directed.
- Maintains and enforces sanitation laws and safety standards with anyone entering the kitchen area.
Adheres to proper grooming and dress codes for the department.Carries out hotel emergency procedures.Performs all other duties as directed, developed, or assigned.
- Maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with Guests, clients, co-workers, and management.
- Coordinates catering reservations and food preparation with the Sales Department.
Knowledge and Critical Skills/Expertise
- Language Skills: Must be able to understand the proper use of kitchen equipment and verbal instructions.
- Technical Skills: Food preparation, ability to follow recipes, and service skills required.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Food handler's permit.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Operate equipment such as, but not limited to, oven, grill, stove, mixer, dishwasher, and utensils. Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Hospitality or food service experience preferred.
- Seeing Must be able to see well enough to read recipes and labels on products.
- Hearing Must be able to hear well enough to communicate on the phone and in person.
- Standing/Walking/Mobility Must be able to stand to prepare and cook food.
- Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling Must be able to climb four flights of stairs. Must be able to stoop and kneel to put away products.
- Lifting Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Fingering/Grasping/Feeling Must be able to handle cooking utensil, kitchen gadgets, etc.
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Associated topics: cocinero, commercial kitchen, complimentary, cook, diner, food preparation, kitchen prep, restaurant assistant cook, steakhouse, wok cook